Friday, October 16, 2009

No Matter where you are, life is always the samme...

sooo here we are, I survived my second week. I have become the evil/mean grade 6 science teacher that picks on randoms and demands partcipation, the grade 4 math teacher that has become the caregiver these kids needs and the grade 5 math/science teacher who has become the best friend...

The school and orphanage i work at our both amzing and provide a new reason for living for me. Every morning regardless of the politics or bad things at these places, I get up and get ready and do it all for the glowing faces of these kids...I have learnt soo much from them about them and have learnt soo much about me from them..they are in one word simply AMAZING.

Sooo here is my insight of the week...I have decided to title this story "Assumptions" as at the current time it seems to bring my whole life together.

Sooo on Thursday afternoon I was teaching my grade 5 kids. Brian who is my favorite and likely the boy I will sponsor in the end, pulls out this toy out of his bag that him and the other kids seemed to have found in the sugarcane field behind the school. The doll is dirty, likely required batteries at some point and thus doesnt work. But this little toy alone brought soo much joy to these kids and thats when it hit me...everyone back home assumes these kids dont have anything and need all the clothes, shoes, food and other materialistic things we have. But the truth is, they don't have them now and don't feel a need for them, likely because they can't ever tell the difference between anything and for the most part they are sooo proud of the ripped clothes that they wear and the little food they eat. They are sooo rich with life and all they really need is the time, the support and that smile that will tell them, that it may suck right now but I believe in you and things will be alright...

Just before I left I had a talk on assumptions and i was told that life was all about assuming things and it was up to you to take chances in your life and believe in the things you choose to. And I have come to realize that assumptions are about trust and ....communication. Trust in the people around you, the life around you and most importantly yourself...but also communication. Assumptions made can be good or bad, and its just important that before assuming the worst or the scariest possible thing like in the situation with these kids, you talk about the things you are thinking with the ones they effect and really be ready to listen and get past any past biases you may have.

Life is funny and full of ups and downs...and this experience this week has just shown me that no matter where you are in life, the situations always repeat themselves and never really change..all that really changes is you, and your ability to deal with the things that are thrown at you...And all I want to say is that I have learnt that I am a pretty amazing woman, who always assumed the worst, but began testing my barriers and by learning about my bravery I have learnt that the security in myself will get me through it all.


Annnnd thats that...

Sooooo now to the fun stuff...I officially have a Ugandan crew!!! We rule the nights with lots of beers or african tea and many many board gamess...and i have learnt a new acronym to add to the list - FUBR - fawwked up beyound all recognition....lol..and now everyone here is using my infamous FML!...lol...

This wkend is all about the miami/new york/LA Ugandan wkend with much time spent at the beach ressorts..as long as the freakkin rain holds up...should be a nice chance to relax, unwind and enjoy the life I have been fortunate enough to be given...


Happpy Early Diwali, will post again tommorrow, after my trip to the mandhir :)

Missing everyone at home, and hoping that those closest to me are beginning to realize that the support and interest you have provided has been the energy and strength I have needed to survive the politics that these kids must be surrounded by.

Love ya's always

Arti

No comments:

Post a Comment