Tuesday, October 6, 2009

And Woooork Beginnns..

Soo today I began...yesterday I had my teachers meeting and was given all my lesson books and my timetable and sent home to prepare..the way my weeks wil work are as such :

Monday's & Fridays - I spend at an orphanage called Sonrise, helping my new german friend with her program..

Tuesday, wednesday and Thursday - I TEACCH & st. Florence...

Soo i know its crazie to think that people actualllly put me in charge of their kids...but yesss i am teaching!! I have been given grades 4, 5 &6 and will be teaching math and science..i did my first lesson today and after making the kids clean up the garbage in the school yard as part of their lesson on sanitation I was told that I was born to be a teacher...if sooo I beginning to gain reassurance in my inevitabel career path..I think or I am beginning to see that all those years of extra curricular homework my dad gave me, instilled the same hope he had in me in everyone my life touches..its like with a little push everyone can do what they were ment and want to do :)

On that note, I thought I would change things up a bit and instead of sounding depressed and homesick let you all see some of the amzing things I have learnt and been able to do ...becuase I am beginning to see that crying everyday isnt going to make the time go by faster sooo the more I can do and enjoy the better the time will be for me...sooo here we go :


1. Boda's are essentially like taxi's that are actually reall motorcycles..my first day here I looked at my coordinator and SAID HELLLS NO..and nooow i am a professional!!! I have my own boda driver Josef which of course is the coolest and most stylish of them all..lol..he rides bikes in his spare time and thus always pics me up in coool sports gear...I LOVE IT !..my goal in fact is to sit like a real Ugandan one day..i am still at the stage of holding on for dear life but have begun to make it look cool...lol

2. Washing clothes....soo when i looked at my house lady and told her we had washing machines back home..i realized how much of a snob i sounded like...she actually laughed soo hard she fell and told me she will FOREVER always remember me now..because welll i was the girl who was soo clueless that when I was given a bassonate and soap, i was like mhmmmm annd how the helll do the clothes wash...lol...I am 10000% fullly domesticated now..this is a true fact :)

3. Make-up and a mirror - sooo yeaaa the mirror i have is pretty make shift..thus I can barely tell what I look like and makeup...no one really cares...on good days I may put on mascara ..but for the most part i have become comfortable with being ohhhh natuuural...scarey i know, however it wont last when i get back to toronto thats for sure...the one thing that I do get here that i love is that they focus on REAAAL and NATURAL beauty..the women are gorgous and where no makeup and are soo simple...it makes everyone fall for their real beauty and in a society like ours it has become sooo refreshing.

4. Electricity..who needs it?!?!!?...yea thats right in Jinja they like to shut the electricity off randomly..they thing that no one needs it at all...WTF...soo yea people end up spending all day outside which is great when its gorgous but shity when its raining

5. Ugandan food- yup i already got sick so what does that tell you...it is likely the worst african food ever..it is soo bland...thhhat i have gotten stuck eating snadwhiches and Indian foood..I have been introduced to a resto called ASSWAD which is run by Gytri and her family..the love me to death and their coooking is INCREDIBLE..makes me feel like i am hommme..

5. Ants, bugs and everything in between...yup they have become my friends and quite the norm in this city...but I have stopped screaming and am actually making some new friends.....NOT! fawkkk i wont go that far...lol...

I think thats pretty much it ...oh except that NEVER EVER EVER leave your clothes out over night to dry..in the midst of rainy season it can pore at any minute whiiich means dry clothes becommmme soaked...FML for reall :S

SOOO thats it for now...must get to the stationary shop soo i can begin lesson plans for my kiddies tomooooorrrrow...missssing home as usual and am reallly thankful for texts, bbms and calls that continously keep me going.

lova yaaaa's always :)

2 comments:

  1. hey girl!

    so glad that you're having a good time and that teaching is working out so well! you're comments are hilarious and I really enjoying reading the daily thoughts of you! i can totally hear your voice while reading it too! Im going to use your blog as an example in my travel and tourism class! woot woot!!!

    miss you heaps, like you don't even know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. text or call, i dont get on the net much and beginning next week when a few more volunteers get in and i start moving around the city things wont be as accessible..and i do miss you and feel like i havent really heard from you much...

    ttys.

    ReplyDelete