Sunday, October 4, 2009

And the work begins...

soo its been 4 days, and i have gotten to see my choice of placements, meet some great people, try some of the most amazing fruits and of course gotten sick...

Being here is like feeling you are in the lion king 24/7..basically during the day you hear the sounds of either african drums or the army cheering as they do their runs and in the nite you hear the sounds of every possible animal you can think of, I think the sounds of this place will stick with me forever and when I am back in the office listening to my boss and annoying clients my imagination will bring me back to this...it just sounds ammmmzing!!!

sooo as I said I got to see my placements all day friday..what they did was take me from place to place and i basically meet with the directors, hear about their cause and see if I find a good fiit for myself...like the sounds of my surrounding, the first place I got to see will forever be engrained in my mind..and whille I would describe it I dont think anyone should have those images in their heads...it was a definate strike of reality thats for sure and made me want to jump in the car and go straight to the airport leaving all my stuff here...It brought me to tears and left me feeling like i was completely in over my head, that and if i had to spend the next 30 days there, i would be in severe need of therapy when i returned.

soo with that being said the first place was an orphanage for disabled children who are suffering from just as much poverty as the lady who runs the orphanage herself....after being there we went to the second place that had the complete reverse effect on me..it made me feel like i knew my purpose in life and what my next steps had to be..this second place was a primary school that went from p1 to p6, it was a complete make shift school that is enclosed in a building that is similar to a tool shed, with wood planks for seats..but the thing that got me, was that no one cared that it wasnt an azming building and wasnt the most ideal school...all the kids just wanted to learn and were sooo excited about life...it was here inherited the cuttest littler nursery school boy who followed me from class to class..as i went to each class the kids got up and started clapping and singing - welcooome visitor, welcome madame- it was absolutely amzing and it was here i actually did cry...

the next two placements were orphanages where i will definately be spending sometime and i got to meet some adoptive parents from the US who were here waiting for the courts to decide their fate....it was an amazing day with a start that left me feeling worried and an ending that made me feel soo exciiiited :)

sooo with that being said on my first weekend here i went out and bought some supplies and am ready to embark on teaching my teachables - math and science- for the majority of my time here :) I also got to spend the weekend furthering myself in what i need to do...which will soon come out and enjoying the company of great people...soo yes that means I have met some people and whille it seems as though i'll be in a home with a revolving door for the next week, it is still pretty damn amzing :)

annnnd soo yea in my midst of getting out and about i woke up this morning with a stomach bug...lol and let you all figure out the rest...but my housemate iain as assured me plenty of water and a beer later will cure it alll...lol

missing home lots, but am thankful for all the texts, bbm's and phone calls...while at times i feel lonely - i have likely cried everyday- i feel soo blessed to know I am missed...lol..especially when i recieve drunk bbm's ...lol...

keeep on reading, and i will attempt at writing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment